23 March 2013

Pumpkin Soup

Usually, when I make something for the first time, it is only for me and it goes terribly wrong and the only person eating it is me. This time an unexpected encounter with a Hokkaido pumpkin at the supermarket sparked off the idea of making a pumpkin soup, so we made it together and it turned out really great.




Ingredients:

one Hokkaido pumpkin
1 onion (red, white, whichever kind you want)
salt
pepper
runny cream for cooking
sour cream
grated cheese





Cut the pumpkin open and put the seeds away, them cut it up (Hookkaido is great, because it doesn't need to be peeled, the peel cooks and tastes just like the flesh, so it is easy to prepare). Put in a baking dish and add coarsely chopped onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until soft (You can also cover it so that it doesn't get very dry). It makes the most wonderful smell.

Then move it all to a pot and blend until the mixture is smooth. It will be very thick, so add some cream and a bit of water and more salt or pepper to taste.
I served mine with grated cheese and a spoonful of  sour cream on top and with toasted bread.

Nice and filling and a quick warm meal to put into your tummy after a hard day.

(And the next post will be about what we did with the seeds :)  )

2 comments:

  1. Great color. I have made squash soup which was similar I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin..anything. but what is runny cream?
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...