18 April 2015

Bug Hotel - The Beginnings


A structure is growing next to the shed, a little pile of things that I proudly call the BUG HOUSE, although it is more commonly known as a BUG HOTEL or INSECT HOTEL. So far it is just some roof tiles holding together a pile of little rocks, a concrete block, short logs with holes drilled into them and an upturned broken flowerpot, but already there are creatures inhabiting it. Actually, I have moved it from a different corner of the garden and in the process I have seen dozens of woodlice, some quite big centipedes and surprisingly very few slugs! Hopefully I will be able to get more logs cut and holes drilled and get it more organised so that more invertebrate guests can move in!

I also got  a brilliant Christmas present from my friends in Prague - a handmade hanging bug hotel. It is more aimed at flying invertebrates, such as solitary bees. So far it is empty, but I hope to see some movement around it soon. After all, the spring has just started.


I am also growing seedlings of wild flowers to place around the garden to feed all those wonderful pollinators and a watering hole to keep the bees hydrated, cool and happy. 

Do you want to build your own insect/invertebrate home? Check out these seources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...