24 August 2013

New Beetle Babies



Saturday morning excitement! : ) My Zophobas morio beetles have been busy and when I dug through the substrate in their tank, I discovered many many new larvae that hatched there from the eggs laid by individuals that I raised from the larvae. Some were tiny, some were huge and some were absolutely massive! It is even more exciting, because these larvae will play an important role in my future biology class. Year 6 (ages 11-12) biology curriculum containes invertebrates and we are going to have a little beetle farm in an IKEA box with these superstars : )


The larvae molt and grow bigger and bigger, until they eventually curl up and form a pupa, from which an adult individual emerges. The beetles are pale white when they come out and get darker over the next few days, until they are black.

If you are not scared to see my new larvae in movement, here is a little video that I uploaded on YouTube just a few minutes ago.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUAfIGrhfw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...