20 July 2013

Little Sugar Glider Lady


This little animal is a sugar glider (Petaurus breviceps), an omnivorous marsupial. My friends keep a couple of these and they have had many babies since they got them, two at a time. The babies have only 0.2 grams when they are born and climb into the female's pouch where they suck milk and develop further. Later, when they are too big, the mother leaves them in the shelter. They develop fur, open their eyes and become a little bit more independent (see wikipedia for more).
This little girl is still on milk, but very friendly, so she stayed with me for a while, as we watched TV. I made her a nest in my scarf on my lap and at first she was very curious, but eventually she fell asleep : )

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, it is! They aare quite popular actually, but I never heard of them until my friends bought theirs. They are very cute, but nocturnal and they make barking noises at night. It takes getting used to :)

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a great time taking care of that little sugar glider. They are fun companions once they develop their motor skills to the fullest. And they make for very adorable pets, so it's really hard not to get one of your own. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to spend time with one, even though the experience was only temporary. Thanks for sharing, and have a nice day!

    Sherri Briggs @ The Pet Glider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a beauty, now she has a new home. I used to live with her parents (and their owners) :)

      Delete

Hello you! Thank you for stopping by!

Every time I write a post it is like writing a letter to someone I might not yet know. Every comment I get is like getting a beautiful letter in my mail box. Please keep sending them, long or short, praise, advice, questions... Whatever they are they are always welcome (except for spam which is the unwelcome and will be destroyed by merciless deletion).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...